10.09.2009

The Black Hole


It seems like a never ending struggle for designers and homeowners alike; how do you stop the TV from being the focal point (or even try to hide it!) without making it inconvenient and uncomfortable to watch?

I was inspired to write this post by an article on House Beautiful that featured 14 functional TV stands that also had great style. After seeing the array of console tables, media centres and armoires, I was interested to find my own favourites.

I’m a huge fan of flat screens on console tables because they’re bulky enough to ground the room while leaving enough space to display gorgeous accessories on top. The key to a great TV console seems to be choosing a piece that has interesting detailing, like inlay, moulding or great hardware.

So, I’ve compiled my own list of top TV consoles that will keep your family room beautiful and have the function you need to curl up and watch your favourite show comfortably.

This Stanley Furniture Continuum TV console comes in four amazing colours, and is also available in a buffet if you like it enough for your dining room!


If you can minimize the cables running from your equipment, this Jonathan Adler Preston console is glamourous and functional in mock croc leather. This piece is also available in white!


BDDW makes unbelievable pieces, and although I thought beauty was in the details, this Claro Walnut Lake Credenza takes a stand for simplicity.


I just discovered MASONGRAY and love their furniture. This Regency Credenza comes in four colours and could easily be made Hollywood Glam or Country Chic.


I think this Tellers Chippendale console by Martha Stewart is versatile enough for a living room, dining room or hallway, but for the sake of this post, wherever the TV is!


What about these alternatives to a TV console:

Porada (Italian manufacturer, even better) designed this modern Domino tv stand.


This incredible TV stand was actually featured in the original House Beautiful article that inspired me. It's unusual and functional, and I absolutely love this piece from Restoration Hardware.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails