10.05.2009

Hidden Treasures

What started out rather serendipitously has become a refreshing way to spend a Sunday morning.


I was curious to find a great antique store so that I could take an old piece of furniture and turn it into something unique on my own. Most of what I found online were small shops in Toronto, so on a rainy Sunday morning (typical this summer), I went out for a quick browse.


In the Jarvis/Front Street area, there are some beautiful home décor stores with unusual furniture that you don’t find in the suburbs. I don’t want to give away all my favourite spots in just one post, but I’ve been looking forward to sharing the success of my shopping trip downtown that day!

While I was downtown, I discovered that the St. Lawrence Market has an antique market every Sunday from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm. There’s nothing like the stench of a room full of old stuff to really wake you up on a Sunday morning. I hate to admit it, but people watching can be just as amusing in such a place; the old woman in a full fur coat, the guy who’s trying to sell stuff you saw in Zellers ten years ago, etc. But if you go with an open mind, a good sense of humour and some hand sanitizer, you’ll be fine!


Outside in a small booth, I saw a beautiful yellow velvet chair that looked like it belonged in a woman’s dressing room. The couple was selling it for $90, which seemed unreasonable considering it needed reupholstering and had to be dragged back to my car, but I loved it so much that I couldn’t leave without it. At the end of some hard bargaining, I walked away with the chair for $40!

All of the quotes for reupholstery that I received were well over $300, so I decided to try doing it myself. I found gorgeous fabric at inVU Drapery Co. to cover it, some new nail heads, and ended up upholstering it on my own!

I’ve been back to the market since with no success, but I always love grabbing a coffee nearby and window shopping. If you have the time and patience to find something completely unique for your home, I definitely recommend venturing out to a flea market or antique show in your area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh, I hadn't seen the final product until now! I love it!

Next time you go, take me with you!!!!!!

-Cait

Anonymous said...

This is impressive Jenna! its awesome!

-Danny

Related Posts with Thumbnails